Townships & Cities/Towns of Randolph County, Indiana

Franklin Township

Franklin Township was established in June 1859. Page 83, Tucker history, 1882. 

It is located near the northwest corner of Randolph County.

Franklin  Township is about 24 square miles. 

According to the 2010 US Census, it had 576 housing units, and a population of  1,265. 


First settler in Franklin Township was Meshach Lewallyn, Summer of 1817. Page 57, Tucker history, 1882. 


Ridgeville. Section 12, Town 21, range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 



Green Township

Green Township was established in January  1834. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

It is located in the northwest corner of Randolph County.

Green Township is about 29 square miles. 

According to the 2010 US Census, it had 404 housing units, and a population of 957. 


Emmetsville. Section 5, Town 5, Ranges 7 & 8, Town 21, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Fairview. Section 4, Town 21, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Olive Branch. Section Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Rockingham. "On Mississinewa, below Ridgeville." Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Shedville. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Steubenville. Section 13 & 14, Town 21, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882.  

Greensfork Township

Greensfork Township was organized in 1818. Orignally, it included the entire southern portion of the county. Page 80, Tucker history, 1882. 

It is located in the southeast corner of Randolph County.

Greensfork  Township is about 46.09 square miles, 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 469 housing units, 

and a population of 1082. 


Arba. Section 33, Town 16, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Crete. 


Edgewood. "Seminary and church". Section 12, Town 16, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Spartanburg. (Newburg). Section 10, Town 16, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

June 2018, reference material organized into two 2" binders for research review at RCHS. 

Jackson Township

Jackson Township was established in November 1833. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

It is located in the northeast corner of Randolph County. 

Jackson Township is about 30.41 square miles. 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 215 housing units, 

and a population of 619.


Allensville. Section 9, Town 21, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Castle. "Store and toll-gate." Section 27, Town 21, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Mount Holly. Section 27, Town 21, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


New Lisbon. Section 12, Town 18, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


New Middletown. Section 30, Town 21, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


New Pittsburg. Section 6, Town 21, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Monroe Township

Monroe Township was established before 1851.  Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

It is located in the west-central part of Randolph County. 

Monroe Township is about 29.14 square miles.  

According to the 2010 Census, it had 1609 housing units, 

and a population of 3711.  


Farmland. Sections 12, 13, 18, & 20, Town 20, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Parker City. (Parker). (Morristown). Section 16 & 17, Town 20, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Royston. Section 17, Town 20, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Nettle Creek Township

Established in January 1835. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


About 1956: Nettle Creek Township was a historical township that existed in Randolph County, Indiana. It was combined with the historical township of West River to form the present day Union Township.


Fallen Timber. "Northeast of Losantville." Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Flemingsburg. Section 23, Town 19, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Losantville. Sections 11, 12, 13 & 14, Town 19, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Pleasant View. (Good View). Section 11, 12, 13, & 15, Town 19, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Stoney Creek Township

Originally called Stony Creek Township. 


Stoney Creek Township was established in July 1826. Page 83, Tucker history, 1882. 

It is located in the west-central part of Randolph County. 

Stoney Creek Township is about 26.76 square miles, 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 425 housing units, 

and a population of 990. 


Georgetown. Section 20, Town 20, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Neff. "Store and dwelling." Section 24, Town 20, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Pinch.


Windsor. Section 10, Town 18, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Union Township

Union Township was established in March 1838. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

It is located in the southwest corner of Randolph County. 

Union Township is about 71.65 square miles.  

According to the 2010 Census, it had 960 housing units, 

and a population of 2142.

Formed from historic Nettle Creek Township and West River Township. 

SEE THOSE Township records for details. 


Modoc. 


Losantville. 


Huntsville. 


Scott Corner. 


Unionport. 

Ward Township

Ward Township was established in August 1820. Page 83, Tucker history, 1882. 

It is located in the north-central part of Randolph County. 

Ward Township is about 36.88 square miles, 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 960 housing units, 

and a population of 1109.


Berlin. "Perhaps on the Mississinewa River." Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Deerfield. Sections 16 & 17, Town 21, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Randolph. Sections 16, 17, 20 & 21; Town 21, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Saratoga. "On Panhandle Railroad." Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Stone Station. Sections 30 & 31, Town 21, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Washington Township

Washington Township was established in May 1831. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

It is located in the south-central part of Randolph County. 

Washington Township is about 44.43 square miles, 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 955 housing units, 

and a population of 2172.


Bloomingport. (Bloomingsport). Section 5, 6, 7 & 8, Town 18, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Carlos. 


Johnson's Station. Section 11, Town Town 18, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Lynn. Section 34, 35, 19, 2 & 3, Town 18, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Rural. (Wood Station). Section 9 & 16, Town 19, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Snow Hill. "Old". Section 23, Town 19, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Snow Hill Station. Section 16 & 21, Town 19, Range 14.  Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Springboro. Section 29, Town 19, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


West Lynn. Section 3, Town 19, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

West River Township

West River Township was established May 1831. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Buena Vista. (Cerro Gordo). Section 3, 4, 9, & 10, Town 19, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Huntsville. (Trenton). Sections 27 & 28. Town 19, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Swain's Hill. Section 5, Town 18, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Unionsport. Section 4, 5, 8 &  9, Town 19, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Wayne Township

Wayne Township was established in January 1835. Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Located in the east central part of Randolph County. 

Wayne Township is about 39.74 square miles.

According to the 2010 Census, it had 2195 housing units,

and a population 4611. 


Bartonia. Section 27, Town 17, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Harrisville. Sections 17 & 18, Town 20, Range 15. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Haysville Corner. 


Randolph. "Old." Section 27, Town 17, Range 1.  Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


South Salem. (Salem).  Sections 11 & 12, Town 17, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Union City. Section 24 & 25, Town 18, Range 1. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882

White River Township

White River Township was established in 1818. Originally, in was the entire northern portion of the county. Page 80, Tucker history, 1882. 

Located in the central part of Randolph County.

White River Township is about 74.63 square miles, 

According to the 2010 Census, it had 3405 housing units,

and a population of 7513.


Buena Vista. "Cerro Gordo". "Partly in West River". Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Macksville. (Maxville). Section 20, Town 20, Range 12. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Mull, Indiana -also called Lickskillet 


New Dayton. Section 2, Town 20, Range 13. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Sampletown. "Sampletown, Section 22, Town 20, Range 13, extinct." Page  93; Source: Tucker, 1882.  

A main crossing of White River "not far from Stephen Moorman's in the region where Sampletown used to be."  Page 48; Source: Tucker, 1882.

"The frst orchard is thought to have been set out by Henry H. Way , near Sampletown, about 1817 or 1818." Page 58.  "The first orchard is thought to have been planted by Henry H. Way, near Sampletown, west of Winchester, perhaps before 1820." Page 237; Source: Tucker, 1882

"Some old settlers say that the new county seat would have been located at Sampletown, four miles west, but that the settlers there were unwilling to 'come down' sufficiently with donations." Page 73; Source: Tucker, 1882 

"John Sample was at the same time made supervisor on West Fork of White River from Sampletown to the mouth of Creek." "Page 83; Source: Tucker, 1882

"Noah Johsnon built a grist-mill on Sparrow Creek at the crossing of the Huntsville and Sampletown road, southeast of Macksville, very early, and about the same time as Gillum's mill on  Cabin Creek there was also a saw-mill." Page 87; Source: Tucker, 1882 

"The old Sampletown Mill between Macksville and Winchester, just east of the 'twenty-five mile boundary,' was built very early." Page 87; Source: Tucker, 1882 

"Was on White River, two miles east of Maxville." "Judge Sample entered land there, January 16, 1817 (Sections 3, 20, 13), and laid out Sampletown very early. "His mill and a tanyard were near." "The Sample farm was not far east of the new boundary." "In May 1820, a road was laid from Sample's mill to Hunstville, and another, in 1825, from Sample's Mill to Lewallyn's mill (Ridgeville)." "Sample's mill is thought to have been the first mill on White River." Predecessor town may have been Vernon. Mr. Sample's son "established a tan-yard and laid out a town, and the locality is called Sampletown to this day, yet the real name may have been (and probably was) Vernon. "The place is at the schoolhouse at the "Corners," just south of the iron bridge, near Stephen Moorman's, where the north and south road crosses White River, and five miles west of Winchester, on the line between Sections 21 and 22, 20, 13." Page 407; Source: Tucker, 1882


Unionsport. "Partly in West River." Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Winchester. Section 20, Town 20, Range 14. Page 93, Source: Tucker, 1882. 

Historic Townships and Towns once a part of Randolph Co.

Wayne Township (North)

Now known as area north of Randolph and north of present Fort Wayne. 


August 1820, "a township was created, extending northward indefinitely from (probably) the present north line of the county, perhaps to the north end of the State, and named Wayne Township." Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


"This territory (as we think), was wholly outside what is now Randolph County." Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Allen County was formed April 1, 1824.


Fort Wayne (now Allen County, Indiana)

1834

"When laid out" was Randolph County, Indiana. 

"118 lots; streets 66 feet; alleys 5, 14, 16 feet". 

North  & South streets: Barr, Clinton, Calhoun.

East & West streets: Water, Columbia, Main, Berry. 

"Junction of St. Joseph's and St. Mary's Rivers, head of the Maumee River (now Allen County) , in Section 2, Town 30, Range 12. 

"Recorded at Winchester, June 9, 1824." 

Page 92, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Allen County was formed April 1, 1824.

Liberty Township

Now known as area within Delaware County, Indiana.


January 1825, "either the whole or east part of Delaware County was made in Liberty Township. The township containing Smithfield is still called Liberty." "Hence 'Mont-see-town' was then (May, 1826) in Liberty Township and in Randolph County as well." Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882.  


Delaware County was formed in 1827.

Madison Township

"Madison Township (Jay County), was erected in May, 1835." Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Jay County was formed in 1836.

Salamonie Township

"Salamonie Township (Jay County), was erected by the Randolph County Commissioners September, 1834, embracing all of Jay County (then a part of Randolph)."  Page 83, Source: Tucker, 1882. 


Jay County was formed in 1836.